The Unbearable Banishment: Showtime

Monday, April 14, 2008

Showtime

Six year old daughter likes to sing. A lot. When she thinks she's alone and nobody can hear her, she'll break out into long arias about whatever is on her mind. She makes up the lyrics and tune as she goes along and is heavily influenced by the songs of Alan Menkin, writer of The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc. etc. ad nauseam. Yesterday, she thought she was alone and broke out into song and I surreptitiously grabbed a pad and pen and quickly jotted down the lyrics. This, from a 6 year-old's tormented soul:

I made my decision
I want to go to Disney World
I'll pack everything
Like my seashell collection
And say, "Disney, here I come!"

I'll be courageous
I'll bring my earplugs
I'll go to Disney
It will freak me out

I told my mom
But she wouldn't believe me
So I'm trapped in this world
But if I trust my heart
I've simply got to try

I want to be with Meredith
(her friend at church)
I want to be with Ian (her boyfriend in kindergarten)
I want him to be in love with me
But I don't know how to do that
It's like a fairy tale


That’s correct, daughter. It’s a fairy tale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home