The Unbearable Banishment: New York City Meltdown

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New York City Meltdown

Mrs. Wife and I boarded our plane at London’s Gatwick yesterday morning after a very satisfying holiday. When we deplaned in New York later in the afternoon, we walked into a 504 point Dow Jones meltdown and 85 degree heat. 85 degrees in the middle of September is just so wrong. (Come to think of it, a 504 point drop in the Dow seems pretty wrong, as well.) I can hardly wait to see how everyone at Benevolent Dictators, Inc. is taking the news. We announce our earnings tomorrow, so that should be a lot of fun.

I tend to suffer from post-vacation sadness. I know that everyone does, but I think I take it a bit harder than everyone else. While there are aspects of my job that I enjoy, a successful vacation always reminds me that if I had the freedom to do anything I wanted, it wouldn’t be commuting into the city to sit at a desk. Unfortunately, I have too many responsibilities to just chuck it all and try something different. Some are lucky enough to live their fantasies. It seems that most of us have to make do with occasional bliss.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you on the post vacation sadness. That;s why I drink so heavily - it makes every weekend a mini vacation.

September 16, 2008 at 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I have too many responsibilities to just chuck it all and try something different.

I hear that. But I have to stay on where I am for the time being, only because they keep throwing a little more money at us to stay.

In the meantime I'm waiting for 2011.

Rob

September 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah... hurricanes in cornfields, financial meltdowns, thermal anomalies in the cities...

shit. go back to london. this is probably BECAUSE you need more vacation!

September 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Eurgh, coming home is the worst bit. Although I'm sure if for once I could leave England for somewhere sunny, and come back to sunny weather, the transition wouldn't be quite so bad.

September 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home