The Unbearable Banishment: Scarred inside and out

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Scarred inside and out

Laura Linney plays a photojournalist who is home convalescing from injuries incurred from a roadside bomb while covering the war. The injuries include permanent scarring on her face, but that’s just the visible damage. The real stuff is under her skin.


Eric Bogosian is her editor and friend who is suffering a midlife crisis. His girlfriend is a too chatty and much younger, but very likable, Alicia Silverstone.

All are excellent but the real firepower on stage is someone you’re probably not familiar with. Brian d’Arcy James is a tornado as Linney’s journalist boyfriend. Nurse H and I took in the excellent Time Stands Still by Pulitzer Prize winner Donald Margulies at the Manhattan Theater Club. [A terrible, forgettable title, though.]


James’ last appearance on Broadway was under cakes of make-up as Shrek in Shrek the Musical. I missed that but saw him in Conor McPherson’s Port Authority at the Atlantic Theater Company last year. Successfully navigating between these very different roles is not such an easy thing to do. And to hold his ground against Laura Linney isn’t a cakewalk, either.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Laura Linney is brilliant. I would love to see this.

February 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger savannah said...

*sigh* i love my little town, but dammit to hell, we'll be lucky if we get a roadshow 2 years from now...

xoxo

(you know i hate you right now, don't you?) ;~D

February 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Willow: It runs through March 27th and is worth the trouble. Do you live far from here? Dare to dream!

Savannah: Don’t hate me. I hang on my cross for plenty of other things.

February 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I love it that you take advantage of the wonders NYC has to offer and that you share your experiences on your blog.. Those of us who can't get the thrill of experiencing it thru you. It's a far-removed and tiny thrill, but still....

February 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Nurse H said...

I concur with this review! When are we going to play again??? Love, Nurse H

February 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Lori: Since my trips into the city have become less frequent than they use to be, they are more precious to me.

Nurse H: We'll line it up. But first, the pinball museum in Asbury Park.

February 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Barlinnie said...

Do not talk to me about midlife crisis! I've just had a wee hissy fit because I cannae find my left golfing shoe!

February 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger mapstew said...

The last time I got to see a play (apart from the excellent school plays!) was in the eighties! YES!

Like Savvy, not much goin' on play-wise in this backwater!

Lucky man. :¬)

February 17, 2010 at 7:32 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Jimmy: Actually, I'm late for my crisis. Have you seen it lying around?

Map: I figure I'm a fool if I don't take advantage. It's something I care about and it's readily available to me. So.

February 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

Have you seen Laura Linney in Jindabyne? Fantastic film.....

February 18, 2010 at 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home