The Unbearable Banishment: Lust for Carnival Cruise Lines

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lust for Carnival Cruise Lines

I just saw another TV spot for Carnival Cruse Lines that uses "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop as its music/theme. The ad is a series of quick edits that depict Mom and Dad and Sis and Bud having a swell family vacation on a big boat filled with white people. I wonder who at Carnival or their ad agency felt that "Lust for Life" would be an appropriate soundtrack for this happy scene? Let's look at a sampling of lyrics from Iggy's catchy tune, shall we?

Here comes Johnny Yen again
With his liquor and drugs
And his flesh machine
He's gonna do another strip tease

Hey man, where'd ya get that lotion?

Your skin starts itching once you buy the gimmick
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.

Well, I'm just a modern guy

Of course, I've had it in my ear before

I'm worth a million in prizes

With my torture film
Drive a GTO
Yeah, I'm through with sleeping on the sidewalk
No more beating my brains
With liquor and drugs

Of course! What wholesome family vacation doesn't include alcoholism, drug addiction and sexual deviancy? Let's create a fond family memory that we'll NEVER forget! Next port of call: psychotherapy. I've got a lust for life!

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Sounds like my family alright.

I expect Princess Cruises will soon follow suit and start tossing in snippets of Lou Reed's "Perfect Day."

April 26, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home