The Unbearable Banishment: My Sally Field Day

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Sally Field Day

I tend to live in a vacuum and sometimes think that nobody out there knows I’m alive. Well, here’s proof to the contrary. On my birthday:

I woke up and on the table where I have my 5:20 a.m. bowl of Sugar Pops were two cards; one from Mrs. Wife and a hand-drawn one from 6-Year Old Daughter. Nothing beats the artwork of a child.

Maria, my Puerto Rican waitress at the diner, asked why I had such a big grin on my face so I told her it was my birthday. I revealed my age and she said, “Aye! Jooo haf veddygoodskin!” When I left, she handed me a bag with three cookies in it, winked, and put her index finger to her lips—the international symbol for keep my mouth shut.

Boss lady at Benevolent Dictators Inc. brought in a truly scrumptious lemon mousse cake. There was no singing, thank god.

Marylyn, the grand old dame from Queens receptionist, keeps a supply of scratch-off lotto tickets in her desk and doles one out to people who are having a birthday. I won $20! I asked her how old she thought I was. She guessed way low! I said I’d tell her my real age but to please not repeat it to anyone. She said, “Well, then, you’d better not tell ME!” I didn’t.

Two of my colleagues went to Barnes & Nobel on their lunch break and bought me a $30 gift card. They put it in a birthday card that played a Motown song when I opened it.

I got an email birthday greeting from a friend in London whom I have not heard from in a very long time. Gone, but not forgotten!

I receive the green light from our hosts and the in-law-baby sitters to go ahead and book a trip to London in September. It’s payback to for DisneyWorld.

Someone at bukowski.net started a happy birthday thread for me.

In the evening, I attended another Buddhist philosophy/meditation class. It was very satisfying.

* * *
How the hell am I supposed to feel sorry for myself with all that going on? My curmudgeon cred is being compromised. Thank you, all.

1 Comments:

Blogger AM said...

I know you're alive! alive and well, as I read this blog a few times a week. I'm also in the middle of making you a card, with a Cleveland theme. It's taking awhile, but you'll understand when you get it.

You won $20???!!! Seneca Falls always told me you were the lucky one of the bunch.

I really didn't want to do this over the computer, but Happy (belated) Birthday!

Say "hi" to Aunt M & K & S for me.

July 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home