The Unbearable Banishment: Last Gasp

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Last Gasp

I wanted to read one more quick, easy book before summer came to a close so I impulsively grabbed a copy of Born Standing Up by Steve Martin, which was just released in paperback. I had read Shopgirl a few years ago and was amazed at how well written and compelling it was. Born Standing Up was published about a year ago and received some favorable reviews. I’m happy to report that it’s a very enjoyable read that doesn’t make you work very hard. A perfect adios to summer. It’s a bio. He had problems with his father. I think daisyfae might be the only person I know who had a strong relationship with her dad. Lucky girl, she is.

Mr. Martin and I have a shared interest. He collects rare books, too. Like him, I also had some daddy issues. We are almost the exact same person, he and I, except that he has an overabundance of talent and cash and I do not. Do you know who else collects rare books? TVs Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Sarah Michele Gellar! I was at a book fair here in New York a few years ago and walked into a dealer’s booth to peruse his stock. She walked up next to me and examined an incredibly rare Shakespeare folio. How hot is that?

* * *

The more I see how happy the evangelicals are about Sarah Palin’s VP nomination, the more creeped-out I am. My experience has taught me that the evangelicals are not to be trusted. Anything that they get all hopped-up about is probably not going to be healthy for the rest of us.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genuinely curious where you get your rare books. I'm at a point now where I can afford to start picking some of them up.

Re: your list from previous post - you left off "Decepticon." Oh, wait, that's SP herself.

SA

August 31, 2008 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wasn't Steve Martin also working as a playwright? i've lost lock on him - but know that there's talent there...

as for "daddy issues"? yeah, my father was my guiding light, inspiration and the source of anything good in me... doesn't mean i'm not fucked up by it... i mean, the meter on my bed needs water cooling sometimes as i seek someone as worthy (sigh)...

August 31, 2008 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

No way! I am pretty impressed that Sarah MG reads something other than scripts. I assume that most actresses are stupid.

September 1, 2008 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

sonny: Acquiring rare books is a long, treacherous road but I am willing to be your sensei.

daisy: Well, you don’t seem terribly damaged to me. Perhaps I don’t know you well enough.

sid: Living in New York afforded me the opportunity to meet and date a few actresses and I can assure you that many of them are quite intelligent. I even fell in love with one! It’s best not to reduce a group of people to a stereotype. Someday it could happen to you!

September 1, 2008 at 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm very functional in most aspects of my life, but couldn't manage a healty personal relationship if my life depended on it... and fortunately? it apparently doesn't...

September 1, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evangelicals are simple people. It really doesn't take much than the veneer of piousness to make them happy.

Anyway, she seems genuine enough - for a politician. Always got to qualify. No one goes into that business (and stays long) for purely selfless reasons. As Frank Herbert said once, power doesn't corrupt so much as it attracts the corruptible.

September 1, 2008 at 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home