The Unbearable Banishment: Sucking on the Glass Pipe

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sucking on the Glass Pipe

Mrs. Wife turned me loose on Cecil Court, which is the epicenter for rare book dealers here in London. It’s a hornet’s nest of trouble for someone with my proclivity. I was just going to “look” because the exchange rate is so abysmal that it doesn’t make sense to buy anything. Yea, right. Two hours later:

● A signed first edition of the script from Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby. (In paperback. There was never a hardcover issue.)

● A signed UK hardcover first edition of Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey

● A copy of Intrepid—a poetry mimeo journal from 1967 with an appearance by Charles Bukowski

● A signed hardcover first edition of Purple American by Rick Moody that has a wrap-around promotional band advertising the paperback release—a real oddity!

The first step is admitting…oh, never mind.

* * *

As I mentioned earlier, I saw The Female of the Species and loved it very much. I was going to attempt to describe how good of an actress Sophie Thompson is but, thankfully, Bob said it far better than I ever could.

4 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

I'm totally going to start stalking her at her shop in Kentish Town and she's going to be my new best friend. Next time you're here we'll all go out drinking together.

September 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

I came from London 2 months ago. If you thought your exchange rate was bad try earning Rands. Wished I had more money so that I coould have seen more of London. London's also the first place I had a Krispy Creame donut. Have to say I prefer Dunkin Donuts. You Americans are so lucky.

September 16, 2008 at 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to read Oscar and Lucinda but couldn't get into it though I did enjoy one of Peter Carey's earlier books, the Tax Inspector.

have you read that one?

September 16, 2008 at 4:13 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

bob: I think that inserting ourselves into Sophie Thompson’s life is something that she would totally welcome.

sid: I really love London. It seems that every time I take a holiday it’s to one of two places; Ohio to see my family or London. And, yes, donuts make our nation great.

nurse: I have a love/hate relationship with Oscar and Lucinda. I almost stopped reading it on several occasions because my interest was waning, but then something would happen to pull me back into the story. Plus, I like to gamble, so there’s that to consider. Have not read The Tax Inspector. Yet.

September 16, 2008 at 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home