The Unbearable Banishment: cell phone jammer: the backlash begins

Sunday, March 15, 2009

cell phone jammer: the backlash begins

Someone from San Diego landed on my blog using the following search phrase:

How to get past a cell phone scrambler

Oh, is that so? Is it a war you’re looking for? You want a piece of my jammer? Who are you? Some smarty-pants pencil-pushing desk jockey from Verizon?

I’ll lay odds that if your tech guys invent a way to override my cell phone jammer, my tech guys (whom I’ve never met. They’re someplace in Hong Kong.) will invent a device to override your cell phone jammer override device. Pretty soon my bag will be weighed down with electronic espionage and counter-espionage gadgets.

I don’t mean to get all George W. Bush on you but bring it on, junior. I found out firsthand that when I respectfully ask someone to lower their voice, all I get is a dirty look and a suggestion that I go fuck myself. I didn’t want to get all illegal-Chinese-electronics on your ass but my hand was forced. I will fight for my right to nap on a quiet train.

* * *

Over the weekend I was listening to Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black. I hadn’t heard it in quite a while and I forgot how great it is. It’s a shame she’s such a train wreck because, ladies and gentlemen, that album is the real deal. It’s compelling and listenable from beginning to end. Nowadays, I only ever hear of her when she’s being picked on by the British tabloids. I hope like hell she can pull her shit together one of these days because I’d love to hear more from her. Poor girl.

* * *

I have a vicious bout of the old ennui this afternoon. Maybe it's the relentless gray skies. Perhaps it’s too much Amy Winehouse. Hope it passes real soon.



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Back to Black is such a good album. One of my faves, I dig it out every so often - there's not many albums you can listen to the whole way through without skipping a track.

As for cellphone jammer war - if people choose to be obnoxious with their phones, they must face the consequences...

March 15, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think scrambler is different than jammer. The searcher is probably looking for ways to eavesdrop on scrambled rather than "open" cell phone transmissions.

Or, possibly, trying to unlock a stolen phone.

I admire your willingness to rise to the challenge, however.

:-)

March 15, 2009 at 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winehouse has emphysema, right? Even if she gets her shit together - she isn't going to be singing for too many years.

March 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think rob is right - scrambler is different.

but i'm delighted to know that Captain Justice T. Jammer is undeterred in his quest!

March 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Jo: That’s true! Generally, I don’t put this on unless I have the time to listen to the entire album strait through uninterrupted.

Rob: Scrambler! Jammer! What’s the difference?! Stay out of my way.

Annie: Emphysema? Is that true?! I hadn’t heard that. I hope not. What a waste.

Daisy: GRRRR. I’m pretty tough in my anonymity. Got help me if I ever have a face-to-face confrontation.

March 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn I wish my speakers were working - I love that song

March 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

I will join your coalition of the willing if Operation Cellphone Jammer escalates to full out hostilities.

March 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worry that is Winehouse does get her demons (ie addictions) under control her music will suffer. I hate to say but some people do better work when their lives are a mess.

March 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Nurse M: You have to find a way to hear this song. It’s not the album version. It’s just her and an electric piano in a studio. It’s fantastic. Get some new speakers! And don’t forget a floor woofer.

DF: Thanks for your support. You’ll have to wear an armband, learn a special hand shake and get a tattoo on your ass.

Pop: Some people? Are you thinking of anyone specifically?

March 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Barlinnie said...

I recently had an inquisitor land on my blog after searching for 'Hugh Hefner's private number'

Now do I look like the type of fella who would have the number to hand of anyone with such a bad syrup?

Don't answer that!

March 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger A Free Man said...

That Amy Winehouse album was great, but I think that's all she's got in her. One hit wonder. Probably dead before 30.

March 19, 2009 at 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

К слову сказать, лучший способ защитить человека от навязчивых мобилок - купить Подавители связи

January 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home