The Unbearable Banishment: Well, that wasn't very Buddhist of me, was it?

Monday, August 31, 2009

Well, that wasn't very Buddhist of me, was it?

I don't know why I bother to meditate. Whatever you put out into the ether will come back to you. I really believe that and I meditate on it.

Then I go an do something like this.

Here's my brief email exchange with WBGO Jazz 88 Sunday morning disc jockey Dan Karcher:

-----Original Message-----
From: [me]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:00 AM
To: Dan Karcher
Subject: A bit of personal history

Good morning, Mr. Karcher. Are you, by any chance, a percussionist?


-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Karcher
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:00 AM
To: [me]
Subject: A bit of personal history

Yea, how did you know? I though all my records were out of print!


-----Original Message-----
From: [me]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:10 AM
To: Dan Karcher
Subject: A bit of personal history

I can tell because only someone who is a percussionist himself would inflict drum solos on a defenseless audience. Every Sunday morning it's the same thing. Percussion solos are hard to take normally. On Sunday mornings, they are a particularly cruel form of punishment.


* * *

Now, was that nice? I attacked something that's dear to him. I honestly had no idea he was a drummer (much less had albums out) but it's his own damn fault. He's been provoking me for a long time now.

My Sunday mornings are sacred to me. A hot cup of coffee, The New York Times, a Suzie Q and WBGO. I don't want to hear any of that contemporary smooth jazz shite and I don't want any goddamn drum solos. Some Stan Getz would be nice. A few Ella Fitzgerald songs. Wes Montgomery.

But he kept pushing my buttons. So I feel bad about setting him up like that but he's been doing this for a while and he had it coming. How selfish! [Of him. Not me.]

19 Comments:

Anonymous Fantasia Lillith said...

LMAO ... well, when it comes back to you three fold just shrug it off and know why without getting upset.

August 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on the outside chance he adjusts his playlist as a result of your brief exchange? think of all the good you've done for other mellow, classic jazz listeners who are simply too timid to take it head on... that's some good karma. has to be...

August 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger tennysoneehemingway said...

of course, you don't have to listen to him....

September 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger ~E said...

WOW! Remind me never ever to be a radio DJ. At least not in any station that you may ever listen to.

My poor little heart just can't take the criticism!

September 1, 2009 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger Barlinnie said...

Apart from walking in to his studio and slowly breaking his fingers, I cannae think of anything more satisfying than your Sunday morning deed.

September 1, 2009 at 3:30 AM  
Blogger Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Hahahaa. Evil. I like it. That made me chuckle.

I could almost see his cheeks growing rosy at the thought of someone knowing his long buried work. Brings to mind an episode of friends where Ross's paleantology (sp?) book is ignored because it's kept in the part of the library where everyone goes to shag. Not at all the same, really.

September 1, 2009 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Fantasia: Welcome! Please don't deny me getting upset. It's what I do best.

Daisy: Thank you for turning this into a good deed. You have achieved the sound of one hand clapping!

TH: There is no alternative. Commercial radio is dead. Even in New York City.

E: I will never lash out at you like that. Unless you provoke me.

Jimmy: He's fortunate that the studio isn't just down the street or I might have been tempted to do just that.

Jo: That's my point. It WAS evil! But he's been pushing me for months. Don't fuck with my Sunday morning.

September 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger savannah said...

so, sugar, y'all can jes imagine what sunday morning jazz is like in my little town! *sigh* it ain't! around heah, it's the nyt, coffee and the ipod with the sunday morning jazz playlist on shuffle. i hope the dj took y'alls message to heart and remembers to spin for the people listening, not jes himself. xox

September 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So? What was his comeback? Or wasn't there one?

DJ's are usually self-absorbed, self-important pricks. I can't stand any of them, regardless of genre.

September 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have friends, right?

September 1, 2009 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

S: I probably could have been more subtle but I was riled.

Rob: Strangely enough, he didn't respond to my message. Can you believe it.

Annie: Not too many. I can't figure out why?

September 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

It'll be interesting to see what he plays this Sunday.

But you really need to look around for an alternative - it is a shame to let anyone mess with your sacred sundays.
He's just indicative of what's wrong with the world today - everyone is just so damn full of themselves. Of course, that's what I like about you....

September 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Ha! Excellent. Couldn't agree more on the drum solo question.

WBGO is a lifeline for me. One of my favorite places to be, usually. Do you love Rhythm Revue as I do?

September 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Anonymous popomatic jeff said...

I don't listen to the radio but drum solos on a Sunday sounds like the least offensive thing playing on most radio stations. Did he respond to your last email?

September 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Lori: My guess is that he's going to completely ignore me. That's probably what I'd do if the tables were turned.

Leah: Yes! Singers Unlimited with Michael Bourn rules!

Jeff: It's been THREE DAYS and he still hasn't written back!

September 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

I'm looking forward to Sunday. You will let us know, right?

September 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM  
Blogger A Free Man said...

I kind of like a good jazz drum solo. Even on Sunday morning...

September 3, 2009 at 4:08 AM  
Blogger Stan D. said...

Jazz itself is a particularly cruel form of punishment in any form, on any day. Except for Anita O'Day, of course.

In the immortal words of Fear, New York's all right...if you like saxophones!

September 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger thefirecat said...

I don't suppose you tried something as simple and non-confrontational as, say, requesting a song you'd rather hear. He probably would have responded to that. He's always open to requests, in my experience.

June 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home