The Unbearable Banishment: My last column

Sunday, October 2, 2011

My last column

For the past year, I've written a monthly column over at the Undie Press on collecting rare books. Specifically, I tried to convey why certain authors got under my skin and how I obtained some of the more rare pieces in my library. The quality of the column was uneven but overall I am pleased with the results. Having a monthly column taught me that a deadline can suck all the joy out of writing.

This month will be my final column. Undie Press is moving towards more traditional long-form publishing (as opposed to monthly bits and bites). Also, I've pretty much exhausted the subject of egomaniacally prattling on about my books.

Explicit warning: This last column contains nudity and sexual situations. Hence, it is one of my best. I'm glad to go out on a high note. Bukowski's Admirers is about how literary fame changed an alcoholic, pock-marked Charles Bukowski into an object of desire.

Many thanks to Tim Hall, Undie Press editor and publisher extraordinaire, for the opportunity.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kono said...

You lucky bastard... that's a hell of a collection and i appreciate the glimpse at it...

October 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger savannah said...

great swan song, sugar! but i swear, you scared the hell outta me when i say the blog title on my sidebar! ;) xoxoxo

October 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Mitzi G Burger said...

Women is a fantastic book.

October 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous looby said...

What a fascinating article and how interesting to see those letters. And as someone who likes a drink or six and is no great looker, quite encouraging too!

October 3, 2011 at 2:54 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

kono: My hope for this column was that it was never misinterpreted as a showcase for me to brag on my books. I always hoped that people read it in the right spirit and were interested in seeing these things.

sav: I think that EVERY blog post is my LAST blog post. No kidding! I'm too wrapped up in stats. I have so few readers that I constantly want to give it up. But there's always just one more thing to say.

Mitzi: Women IS great but did you read Post Office? That's the bell-ringer.

looby: I concur! Women don't care what you look like! If you have a little bit of fame (and cash) you can draw them like moths to a flame.

October 3, 2011 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

'Nudity and sexual situations' - well of course everyone is scooting over there quick smart. Hope there isn't a queue.

October 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic column to go out on

October 3, 2011 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Pat: I have become an expert at baiting. I should try and parlay it into a paying gig.

nurse: Thank you for saying so. The photo certainly doesn't hurt.

October 3, 2011 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger red-handed said...

Bukowski! Now that's an exit.

October 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

UB, don't count the number of followers you have here... count the quality! We are fascinated, loyal readers and you damn well better not be closing up shop like too many others.

Loved the Bukowski piece... and a great piece for you to end you stint as columnist with!

October 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

RH: Actually, Bukowski is the alpha AND the omega. My first column was a Bukowski piece.

Ponita: That's an incredibly nice thing to say, especially coming from someone whose name I frequently mis-stroke. But the sad fact is that I am completely wrapped up in stats. I wish I could be more liberated but my ego will not allow it.

October 4, 2011 at 6:28 AM  
Anonymous daisyfae said...

absolutely fabulous column! and what a wonderful opportunity it was for your wriing?

October 4, 2011 at 7:47 AM  
Anonymous Tim Hall said...

A great finish to a wonderful year, Mark...thanks so much for sharing your incredible collection with us. It's been a tremendous honor.

October 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM  
Anonymous dinahmow said...

Yes, you bowed out on a terrific high note.

And I'd like to second Ponita's sentiments -it's all gold over here!

October 5, 2011 at 2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home