The Unbearable Banishment: the soundtrack of your day

Friday, July 31, 2009

the soundtrack of your day

I was navigating my way across a crowded 42nd Street and through the beautiful madness of Grand Central Station and my iPod shuffle, freak show that it is, selected Five O'Clock World by The Vogues. Do you know this song? It's a great example of 60's American pop and exactly what you'd want to hear on your way to work. The iPod shuffle scares me a little bit.

Up every morning just to keep a job
I gotta fight my way through the hustling mob
Sounds of the city pounding in my brain
While another day goes down the drain

But its a five o'clock world when the whistle blows
No one owns a piece of my time
And there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes
Thinking that the world looks fine, yeah


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great old song

July 31, 2009 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Barlinnie said...

Indeed it is, although it is a bit of a bastart to whistle when you've had a few.

July 31, 2009 at 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's my 'friday leaving work' song... and sometmes my 'monday draggin' ass to work' song...

July 31, 2009 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Nurse M: The lyrics AND the tune are a home run. Love the disjointed guitar intro, especially.

Jimmy: Try singing out loud while walking through Grand Central. You get a few looks.

Daisy: And I thought I was the only one who had this loaded on my iPod! I should have know better.

July 31, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But its a five o'clock world when the whistle blows
No one owns a piece of my time


Any one who has been disciplined or fired for posting things on blogs, facebook or twitter would beg to differ with this old message.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. For me, it's: Work to Live, not Live to Work.

I think subtle music messages like that, whether it's iPod shuffle or XM Radio, are awesome.

July 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Excellent, UB. I would have loved to have seen you singing it in Grand Central.

I love getting a glimpse into people's ipods. Thanks for the peek.

July 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had to run over to YouTube to give it a listen. Very nice.

Love the photo.

Maybe I should do Blogher next summer. It's in NYC. It's been a long while since I visited.

July 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Rob: As soon as the world catches on to satellite radio, terrestrial radio is doomed. It’s a superior product.

Leah: You do NOT want to hear me sing! I have pretty much everything in my iPod. Ravel to Rush. No country. And no opera.

Annie: Opportunity is starring you right in the face.

July 31, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home