The Unbearable Banishment: It's Christmastime in the city pt. 4: 5th Avenue

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's Christmastime in the city pt. 4: 5th Avenue

I took a cold winter stroll up 5th Avenue. The upper-tier stores were all adorned with holiday lights so I whipped out my camera to create a virtual walking tour for those of you who can't make it this year. Hope you're looking at these through a bright monitor!

These are the big snowflakes on the façade of Saks Fifth Avenue's flagship store. If you stand directly in front of the building and squint your eyes, you get the illusion that they're floating in mid air.



Here's the entrance to Cartier. These lights are a lot more twinkly in person.


I think I posted a pic of this last year, as well. The lights make the building look like a big, beautifully wrapped box. The ribbon contains small strobe lights, so it sparkles. In retrospect, I wish I had waited until that MTA bus had passed by!


Here's Fendi's flagship store. The building seems to be held together by two huge, sparkly belts. Again, with the strobe lights. I first saw the strobe effect on the Eiffel Tower. Now, everybody copies it.


This is the Bergdorf Goodman and Van Cleef & Arpels. All they ever do is put a bunch of wreaths in the windows but I love it. It's a quiet, elegant touch, especially when compared to the visual noise that precedes it.


And, finally, here is a festive holiday street meat cart. Many of the street food vendors, especially those who cater to the tourist-choked midtown area, decorate their carts with lights and ornaments.


This is probably my last post until after Christmas. I hope everyone gets a little happiness and joy in their stocking this year (except for that shithead Bernie Madoff). Merry Christmas!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Here In Franklin said...

Thank you so much...those are just great. There really is no place like New York at Christmas.

December 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a sparkly 'roach coach'? that's my kind of festive - although i'm a sucker for all of the other twinkie lights, too... especially the snowflakes. merry christmas, and here's to a better 2010!

December 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger savannah said...

FANTASTIC! i did sit here and squint at the snowflakes and for a second i was back in new york! thanks, sugar and Merry Christmas to all ya'll, ya heah? xoxoxox

December 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger mapstew said...

Thanks for the pics pal.

I wish you and your clan a wonderful time this week, and a prosperous and productive year ahead!

I am glad to have made a friend such as yourself.

:¬)

December 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Poindexter said...

I love these - thank you so much. Seems like spending Christmas in New York would be lovely. And I agree about the windows at Bergdorf Goodman - true understated beauty.

December 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pictures. We don't have that spirit in California.

December 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

Love the elegance and simplicity of the wreaths

December 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

HIF: Actually, I've always wanted to be in London for Christmas. They practically invented the idea! But New York ain't bad.

Daisy: I like to hold my street meat under the colored lights. It makes it look even less like food than it already does.

Savannah: The snowflakes are quite beautiful. Beautiful, that is, until you have to start shoveling it.

Map: Likewise. Isn't it amazing who you meet out here in the ether?

Point: NYC will always be here waiting for you. It's just a plane ride away.

Abrella: Welcome! Cali has a spirit all its own. Sometimes I'd rather be there.

Nurse: As you are probably already aware, they look even more elegant in person.

December 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

Merry xmas darlin' xx

December 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks truly like a dream world wonderland. definitely on my list of 'things to do'. thanks for sharing and may you and yours have a wonderful holiday.

December 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Love these photos - thanks. NYC at Christmas time is a lovely site that I hope to see in person some day.

Also, I loved seeing the photos of you and your daughter on her birthday. That was a very special post, and a special birthday. I have a December child too - my son was born 15 years ago on Christmas Eve. A magical night.
All the best to you and yours.

December 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home