The Unbearable Banishment: Dateline: Orlando

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dateline: Orlando

I have seen the end of the civilization. It doesn’t end with a mushroom cloud. It ends with a pair of mouse ears. The bible was right. The meek have inherited the earth.

We watched the big Disney parade down Main Street this afternoon. All the most popular Disney characters appeared on floats with dancers, musicians, a marching band, etc., etc., Throughout the entire parade, I saw exactly two African Americans; one was one of Captain Hook’s pirates and the other was a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins. Even Aladdin was lily white and looked like an actuary accountant. I thought it was awful. What if you’re black and you’re here with your kids and this is the only way you're represented? A chimney sweep! My cynicism and anger about this place had reached a fevered pitch and I just wanted to get the hell out of here. Then I looked down at Daughter. She was mesmerized. I saw a look of rapture and raw joy on her face that I had never seen before. I got choked up and started to cry. I had sunglasses on so nobody saw me, thank God. This place is fucking with my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home