The Unbearable Banishment: here comes santy clause

Thursday, November 27, 2008

here comes santy clause

The end of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade traditionally signals the official start of the Christmas season in New York City. Personally, I always kick off the season by reading The Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris. If you’ve never read it, do yourself a big favor and pick up a copy. If you’ve read it in the past, read it again because I guarantee you’ve forgotten just how funny it is. It’s clever and dark. It’ll jingle your bells.

My other traditional holiday read is Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. I’ll pick it up about a week or so before Christmas. One day, I hope to own a first edition that includes the eight beautiful illustrations by John Leech—four woodcut and four hand colored etchings. This one is my favorite: Mr. Fezziwig’s Ball.


In case I’m on your gift list, I think you can get a pretty decent first edition for about $20K. Until then, I’ll have to make do with visiting the copy that the Morgan Library puts on display every season.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw a local production of Santaland Diaries... it was BEAUTIFULLY performed by a local actor. Giggled myself silly through the entire thing... christmas spirit? you bet...

November 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home