The Unbearable Banishment: Pick a century, for cryin' out loud

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pick a century, for cryin' out loud

Sister #2 teaches at a college in Upstate New York in the heart of the Mennonite community. She was in the local coffee shop doing some work when this grand old dame walked in, opened her laptop bag, plugged in, booted up and started surfing the internet.


Isn't that contrary to their belief system? I know they're big advocates of modest dress and quiet lifestyles, so what's up with the laptop?

* * *

I just stumbled across this quote from Andy Warhol about Coca-Cola:

A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the president knows it, the bum knows it and you know it.

Isn't that beautiful? I swear, if I worked in the marketing department for Coke I'd create an entire ad campaign around that.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the pic, adore the quote...

mennonites have various sects, from reformed to the more orthodox 'old order' (horse and buggy). don't know if there's a "Windows for PC" order, though...

October 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Barlinnie said...

Wouldn't life be great if we cut out all the pish and just told it exactly as it is?

October 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thing 1: I grew up near a large Mennonite community in Mississippi. They did drive cars, but I can't imagine seeing one with a laptop.

Thing 2: There was an entire article in the NY Times disputing the Warhol quote last weekend. I will tell you that McDonald's coke taste better than any other Coke.

October 17, 2009 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

The above comments are correct--there are different levels of orthodoxy. And new order can use computers for school and work.

It is a great pic, though.

October 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Daisy: How do you know so much about Mennonites?! I know from experience that there are a lot of Amish in Ohio.

Jimmy: Oh, I don't know about that. The pish give life a bit of spice, yes?

Cat: It sure SOUNDS like something Warhol would say. And why would McD's Coke be any better? Do they use a higher ratio of syrup?

Leah: Thanks for confirmation. You are a fount of theological knowledge.

October 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

A fount? Oh dear.

I love McDonald's Coke too. I think they're savants with the syrup/soda water ratio...

October 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UB--I could've used you this morning when I was working the NYT Sunday crossword. It was all about the Guggenheim and other artsy stuff. The sad part, for me at least, is that all the people commenting thought it was super easy. I thought it was impossible. I'm sure you could've completed it in just a few minutes. But for a heathen like me in a fly-over state it was darn hard.

October 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mennonites come in all sorts of modern technology flavors.

October 18, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger mapstew said...

'Mennonites' Sounds like a gay club!

:¬)

October 18, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger ~E said...

Isn't technology sacrilegous to their faith? Maybe she's just a weekend Mennonite.

(Ok, this wasn't a very funny comment...I promise Ill do better next time)

October 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home